Lundi's Story, 27 Weeks   

"This is the story of little Lundi", shares Miracle Mum, Jemma. 

“After years of trying for a baby and being unsuccessful, my husband and I tried IVF and were successful and so happy about it. Then at just 27 weeks of pregnancy I went into spontaneous labour. As this was my first child I didn’t even know I was in labour. I just knew I was in a lot of pain and had been all day at work.I drove myself to the polyclinic in Port Stephens who advised me that they couldn’t really tell if I was in labour, so it was best to go to the John Hunter Hospital. I called ahead and went there.

After having an internal examination, they advised me that I was 3cm dilated and my cervix was paper thin, and I would be delivering a baby in the next 24-48 hours. And I did!I It was an extremely overwhelming experience to say the least, but on 2 March my little miracle was born at 11.25pm weighing 1030 grams. All I wanted to do was hear her cry and I knew everything would be ok. My baby let out the biggest scream; she was a fighter from day one and I just knew all would be ok.

She was taken straight from me and I didn’t get to meet her for a few days as I haemorrhaged badly after labour from RPOC (retained products of conception)  and needed an operation.

The NICU journey then began. After only a few days being alive, they thought Lundi had Meningitis so the doctors needed to do a lumbar puncture to see if she had it. We were so blessed with good results. We had a few ups and downs in NICU; it’s a very hard emotional journey. I was discharged home after two weeks of being in hospital myself, so I would spend from 7am till 7pm in the NICU 7 days a week and travel an hour to get to the hospital and home. There was nowhere else in the world I would have been than by her side every day.

After 70 long days (10 weeks) on Mother’s Day I got the best gift a mother could ask for and got to finally bring my baby home to be with her mummy and daddy. Lundi progressed so beautifully with all of her check-ups, advanced in fact. I remember that one of her check-ups went over by two hours, as she just keep hitting all milestones in advance. They said you have a beautiful gifted child.

I count my blessings every single day.

Now here we are, and she is starting Kindy next week. I have mixed emotions about this as it is another milestone I didn’t know if we would ever make. But I am so blessed to be here.

I loved the treatment so much at the John Hunter Hospital received from Lundi’s NICU mums, doctors and friends, that I started working there in Critical Care Service. I feel like it was my way of giving back in some way."   

Want to share your story too?
We welcome every Miracle family story, no matter what stage of the journey you're at.
We encourage those wishing to share their story to submit it below:

Share your family story