Admission to a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit or Special Care Nursery can be daunting, frightening and shocking. Our NICU Survival Pack, provided to families on admission in participating hospitals, equips parents with vital tools and resources as they try to navigate this strange and overwhelming high tech universe.
It also provides information about the availability of local community NurtureGroups after leaving the safety of the hospital’s care. Empowering families with knowledge, helping them feel validated, comfortable and proactive in their child’s care and providing them with much-needed support, guidance, confidence and strength is vital to their journey in the NICU or SCN.
What will you find in a NICU Survival Pack?
- Nurture - Guiding your Hospital Journey with a Premature or Sick Newborn
An informative guidebook that covers many aspects and concerns shared by parents to give readers a better understanding of neonatal care. Developed with the help and guidance of health professionals and parents whose babies took an unfamiliar and unexpected journey, it is an
in-depth and comprehensive book touching on issues and concerns that affect families dealing with the birth of a premature or sick newborn.
- NICU Journal - A unique and beautiful journal developed to help families document their baby’s progress and hospital journey and create a memento of their baby’s early life, including a pen and stickers.
- BabyLove sample - BabyLove Premmie nappies are specially designed for preterm babies weighing 1.5kg–3kg. The unique 3D design gently cups baby’s body to avoid swelling and cramping pressure. Silky light and ultra-soft material with breathable cover sheet helps prevent nappy rash, a perfect fit for delicate skin.
- Water Wipes sample - The world’s purest baby wipes and have been carefully designed to be gentle on babies’ sensitive skin. They are the only wipes that contain absolutely no chemicals, just 99.9% purified Irish Spring water and 0.1% grapefruit seed extract. They don’t irritate the skin and help avoid nappy rash and other skin conditions.
- Keepsake Item –premature-sized knitted and sewn items generously donated by the community.
- NurtureLine Service Magnet - with 24 hour family support helpline (1300 622 243) number.
- NurtureGroup - details and information on local NurtureGroups available for families (free play and peer support groups for families who have experienced the birth of a premature or sick newborn).