Kaitlyn's Story, 28 Weeks

Miracle Mum, Skye shares Kaitlyn's story.

"On the 10th of May 2019, at 24+5 weeks gestation I felt liquid running down my leg after a morning shower. I presented to my local birth unit for a check-up. They advised everything looked fine and sent me home.
The next day the same exact thing happened. I took my son to soccer and could feel it all morning, I went back to the birthing unit where a bedside ultrasound and more examinations were preformed. All results indicated PPROM (Preterm premature rupture of the membranes). At 24+6 weeks it was confirmed I had ruptured my membranes. I was transferred to the John Hunter Hospital because my current hospital wasn't equipped for babies born before 35 weeks.

I spent seven nights in hospital, slowly leaking fluid. My AFI (Amniotic Fluid Index) continued to drop lower and lower but baby seemed to be happy inside. My doctor allowed me to go home on strict bedrest on the 18th of May because baby was happy and healthy. I spent a week and a half at home, constantly checking my temperature and looking for signs of infection.

On Wednesday the 29th of May at 27+4 weeks I was sent to the hospital for a check-up and discovered some yellow and green discharge. I was told that I would now stay in the hospital until the baby was born. I spent the next couple of nights on strict bedrest at hospital.

On Friday night my specialist advised me he wanted to stop antibiotics to see if it was masking an infection, if there were no signs of it by Sunday I would be able to go home again. On Sunday 2nd June 2019 at 3.45am I woke up shivering and shaking with body aches. An hour later I started vomiting, then at 5.30am my temperature spiked to 39 degrees. I was rushed down to the birthing suit, into a tiny room with 10 nurses and doctors present. I had one nurse taking my clothes off, another nurse removing my jewellery, another nurse placing a catheter in, and two nurses placing four IVs into my arms. There were two other nurses setting up the baby cot and making the room warm. I had a doctor sitting right next to me asking if I wanted a VBAC or c-section. It took me 15 minutes to calm down enough to process what was happening and ask if it was time for baby to come - the doctor was then able to tell me that I was really sick and had an infection and they needed to deliver the baby now. Finally, at 6.30am I decided on a VBAC and rang my partner.

At 8.30am the induction process started. My temperatuere would not break, it was constantly at 38 degrees. I was hot, thirsty and couldn't move from the bed. At 11am I asked the doctor for a c-section because I felt I couldn't do a natural, I felt too sick to continue. However, I was forced to keep going with the induction. I asked every 30 minutes to be taken in, but was told I needed to continue. At 1.45pm my bloods were taken, baby's heart rate was high and the doctors told me I was septic and needed to have an emergency c-section. I was prepared and taken in within 30 minutes, and because of my infection I had to be put to sleep. At 3.06pm at 28+1 weeks gestation my small and might baby girl Kaitlyn Joy was born, weighing just 1170grams. She was happy and healthy and was put straight onto CPAP.

I was taken to recover where it took me three hours to wake from the anaesthetic. After I was awake and had the pain under control, I was wheeled in to see my tiny baby in the Incubator at 8pm. Nothing could prepare me for the challenging time NICU had instore for us, but my girl is strong and had a relatively smooth 75 days in NICU/SCN."

Want to share your story too?
We welcome every Miracle family story, no matter what stage of the journey you're at.
We encourage those wishing to share their story to submit it below:

Share your family story